Polar Blair's Den Menu Page
to "Animals" Main Page
About This Animal
- CHEST HAIR: What looks like a beard on a
turkey's chest is really a bundle of long, thin feathers. All
adult males and even some females have beards. Scientists don't
know what, if anything, they're used for.
- YES, TURKEYS CAN FLY: Turkeys are, contrary
to popular belief, fantastic flyers for short distances. They can
take off like helicopters, practically going straight up. But
when they fly straight ahead, that's when they go really fast.
One wild turkey was clocked at 55 miles an hour!
- LIFE IS SHORT: Most turkeys will live for
about two years, although a few have been found to live up to twelve
- Caruncle is what you call the brightly-colored
growths on a turkey's throat. They turn bright red when upset or
- A snood is the flap of skin that hangs over the